A Short air travel ..... an important journey to a decision

I started off this Blog a few years back. Never completed it. But yes, the memory of that event is still fresh in my mind, so I went on to complete the blog and put it up for you to read. I do not know if the condition still exists, though I sincerely hope things have changed.


I traveled on Air India after a long time today. The flight took me from Calicut to Dubai.
Air India is my nations premier flight, our national airlines. But where does it stand in the priority chart of an Indian who travels abroad? I can't speak for all of them, but pretty low down for me.
Apart from the magical experience of moving from one city to another, country to the other or even continent to another....while sitting in a chair.....there are certain small things that can make people happy or unhappy about a flight.
All small things put together is called "Service". To start with I entered into the flight expecting a "welcome on board" wish with a smile only to find the air hostess busy on the flight phone. No smiles, no welcome...I carried on to my seat. Having been on several flights it did not take time to find the way to my seat.
Soon the safety introduction started which is a recorded video on the screen. Surprisingly there were at least 3 rows visible to me where the videos were not working. I wonder how someone flying for the first could get head or tail of what was being spoken.
Soon I realized after 30 mins of flight that my screen along with atleast another dozens did not have the entertainment. When asked the steward replied that he had reset the magic button but.....Sorry. The interesting part in the statement was "sorry, that's what I can do", rather than "Sorry, we regret the technical failure" hey, both of them get me the same result-no TV, but the latter would have meant a lil but more "service" oriented.
Then came the most irritating part which I just can't understand. Someone from Air India who reads this should someday explain to me WHY?
The announcement came "we will now serve drinks and snacks"..... Well no TV, I might just entertain myself with food. The steward asked "Sir whiskey or beer?" I said neither. I don't drink. What's there those who don't? "Only water". Someone needs to tell Air India to stop promoting alcoholism. It was like a punishment for not being one. I asked just to make sure "What about soft drinks or juice?" "No sir, only water". This probably is the first ever flight I was on board that was making a mockery of "Service" standards set by others. I don't remember the last time I was on board Air India, but if this was an exception then sure the team that flew us today needs to be a bit more apologetic. But if this is the standard, then people need to understand that there are passengers like me who for some reason of their own have not taken to drinking even if it is free.

Air business is for sure a tough one and depends solely on differentiation.it's not just about flying It's about creating a "Great" experience for every flier every time he is on board. Air India for sure is going through financial challenges (may be saving the juice and soft drinks might take them out of the losses) and if it needs to come back to profit, it's needs the passengers to come back to it. If I am disappointed with my national airlines, how many Indians would be, on a everyday basis? How many people in the world would really have Air India "top of the mind" as its main air partner?
Business is not about creating a customer, it's more about retaining the ones u have and make them your spokesperson. Every business has its chance, and a lot of them actually miss it. The ones who make good use of it, will flourish.
Today Air India for sure lost a potential "spokesperson" in me and perhaps another 1000 during the flights world around.
The ball will of course, always remain in their court.

I hope they not only understand the customer mindset, but also pull up their socks to steal the customers from others.
Waiting to fly again...... but sorry not Air India again!!!

Comments